Posts Tagged ‘red building’
The current building was built in 1907 by William T. Glower. This was not the first mill built on the property – this mill was actually built to replace one that has burned.
The mill is named for Hilliard Starr, but he was just one of many owners. The current mill, which was built on the foundation of the mill that burned, operated until 1959 using a water-powered turbine, instead of a wheel, to grind corn and operate a sawmill.
Not everything about the mill is so cheery, though. This mill is the site of Fayette County’s most notorious unsolved murders. In 1966, the caretaker of the mill, George Lynch, was found unconscious, and died in the hospital one day later. The autopsy revealed that he has suffered a blow to the head. Exactly nine years prior, his wife, Fannie Lou Lynch, had also died at the mill – she was hit by a car as she crossed the bridge in 1957.
To read more about the history of the mill, check out this Times Harold Article.